How Many Chinese Words Do You Know To Express “Halloween” in China? Let's Turn
World Festival Halloween Into Chinese
你知道多少种 Halloween 的中文说法？
How will you plan your Halloween this year? Besides the scary costumes and decorations, kinds of special Halloween ideas and interesting-themed parties will be thrown around the world to celebrate Halloween. As one of the popular festivals worldwide, let's talking about something related to the Halloween in Chinese.
Target Story Words
Similar Chinese Words:
中文说法 zhōng wén shuō fǎ Use Standard Chinese (Putonghua) to say something like expressing "Halloween" in Chinese/China.
Related Chinese Words:
夜晚 yè wǎn To express "night" in Standard Chinese.
前夕 qián xī A literal and formal expression to say "eve" in Standard Chinese, especially referring to festivals.
Table of Story
- Story Word in EN/CN/Pinyin
- Listen to Chinese Pronunciation
- Five Different Chinese Words to Express "Halloween" in China
- 1. Shortest Chinese Of Halloween
- 2. Most Popular Translation For Halloween in China
- 3. A Literal Substitute Word Of Halloween In China
- 4. A Religious Chinese Term
- 5. Quite Different Expression As Compared To The Chinese Festival (For Logged-ins)
- The Next May Interest You
- Share & Comment
Five Different Chinese Words To Express "Halloween" In China
Although Halloween is not a popular festival in China, especially in Chinese mainland, it gives a splendid excuse for people going out to have more funs at night. If you are learning standard Chinese or take a short stay in the Autumn of China, it's proper to know some Chinese words that are used to express "Halloween" in China, as below.
在中国，尤其大陆地区，Halloween 不算是个很热门的节日，但是它仍然成为了一个绝佳的在这一天晚上出门找乐子狂欢一夜的理由。如果你正在学中文（普通话），或正在中国当地停留，可以了解以下关于 Halloween的中文词汇。
If you are looking for the shortest word to express "Halloween" in Chinese, that must be the Chinese word 万圣夜 (wàn shèng yè) including three Chinese characters only.
As Halloween is abbreviated from the full name "All Hallows' Eve", the three characters 万, 圣, 夜 among the Chinese name respectively respond to each word of the English name.
正如 “Halloween” 是 “All Hallows' Eve” 的缩写，万圣夜中包含的三个汉字：“万”、“圣”、“夜”也分别与英文名中的单词一一对应。
- 万 - (wàn) - A common Chinese numeration unit for "Ten Thousand". And it's also used to describe the great number of objects or creatures in Standard Chinese (Putonghua, aka. Standard Mandarin), herein implying the meaning of 所有 (suǒ yǒu), see below.
- 圣 - (shèng) - a Chinese adjective is used to describe a holy person or master who is full of acknowledgement and wisdom. For example, Confucius 孔子 (kǒng zi), the founder of Confucianism in China, is respectfully addressed as "孔圣人" in Chinese.
- 夜 - (yè) - The word is easy to understand since it means the dark time or night in Chinese.
Other Simple Chinese Words Related to "Halloween" in China
- 所有 - (suǒ yǒu) - The word "All" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua, aka. Standard Mandarin)
- 圣人 - (shèng rén) - The word to describe "Hallow", a saint or holy person in Standard Chinese (Putonghua, aka. Standard Mandarin)
- 夜晚 - (yè wǎn) - The word "night" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua, aka. Standard Mandarin)
If the shortest word "万圣夜" is expanded to full Chinese, it could be written into 万圣节前夜 (wàn shèng jié qián yè), which is the popular translation of "All Hallows' Eve" or "Halloween" in China.
将“万圣夜”完整展开来的意思即是“万圣节前夜”。它也是针对“All Hallows' Eve”或“Halloween”最常见的中文翻译。
And 万圣节 is also known as the common name of the "All Hallow's Day" or "All Saint's Day" festival in Chinese.
而且，“万圣节”三个字也正是“All Hallows' Day”或“All Saints' Day”的中文名。
- 前夜 - (qián yè) - The word "Eve" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua)
- 节 - (jié) - it's used to mark the day of festival or the day of anniversary in Standard Chinese (Putonghua), although it originally means a knot on the bamboo or wood. Secondly, it often describes a section or a part of something in Chinese.
The only difference between the name 万圣节前夕 and the previous one 万圣节前夜 lies on the last Chinese words 前夕 v.s. 前夜, especially the last characters 夕 (xī) v.s. 夜 (yè).
Broadly to say, both words are connected with the night time, but the character 夕 usually specifies the eve of an important festival or event, more elegant and official than the other in the Chinese language, e.g. the phrase 国庆前夕 (Guó qìng qián xī), refering to the big National festival "China' National Day Eve".
- 夕 - (xī) - In modern time, it usually describes the "sunset time" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua), e.g. the word 夕阳 (xī yáng), equal to sunset in Chinese.
But in ancient China, 夕 mostly referred to the night time, such as the big traditional folk festival 除夕 (chú xī) in China, pointing to the important night before the Chinese New Year, also known as the Chinese New Year's Eve.
- 夜 - (jié) - means the dark time or night in Chinese.
The Chinese name 诸圣节 (zhū shèng jié) specifies the religious festival "All Saints' Day" from the West. So the Eve of All Saints' Day could also be known as 诸圣节前夕 (zhū shèng jié qián xī) in China. But this name is not quite common to see in the daily life. Seldom people in China knows about the word nor this festival.
“诸圣节”指西方的宗教节日“All Saints' Day”。那么这个节日的前一夜在中文里也可被称作“诸圣节前夕”。不过这个词在中国并不常见，少有人知道。
Last but not least, wish you a Happy Halloween and Happy November!
And most importantly, remember to make your Halloween and November safe, then keep fun!
Questions & Additional
Have you got any tips from this bilingual Chinese story above?
Do you have any other questions or suggestions?
You are free to write it down in the "Comments" section below or in our groups.
Any thought from you is appreciated, valuable, and might help the rest of the residents on the planet. 😀
Did You Start Learning Chinese with Pinyin?
Continue to read our User-friendly Chinese-Pinyin version of this story
(Unlocked for Free Logged-in and Premium residents only).
Hope it Helps! : )