How to Speak These November Festivals “Black Friday”, “Thanksgiving Day”, “Cyber Monday” in Chinese? And Related Words/Phrases?
你知道这些 “11月节日” 的中文说法吗？
November comes two well-known "Festivals" around the world: Thanksgiving Day for all families and The Black Friday for shoppers. Do you know how we say the Black Friday or Thanksgiving Day in standard Chinese? And how many Chinese words phrases referring to these November festivals? Let's get into them.
Target Story Words
Similar Chinese Words:
节日名 jié rì míng refers the name of festivals in Standard Chinese.
购物季 gòu wù jì equal to the shopping season in Standard Chinese.
Related Chinese Words:
感谢 gǎn xiè To express "thanks" or "Appreciation" in Standard Chinese.
购物 gòu wù A formal expression to say "shopping" in Standard Chinese.
Table of Story
- Story Word in EN/CN/Pinyin
- Listen to Chinese Pronunciation
- Speak "Thanksgiving Day" or Related in Chinese
- Popular Thanksgiving Wishes
- Use Chinese to Speak "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday"
- More Black Friday Words/Phrases For Shopping Season
- Black Friday Promotional Words Phrases in Chinese (For Logged-ins)
- Black Friday Discount Words in Chinese (For Logged-ins)
- The Next May Interest You
- Share & Comment
"Thanksgiving Day" In Chinese And Related
The November festival "Thanksgiving day" is definitely known as 感恩节 (gǎn ēn jié) in Chinese. It's a big day for family gatherings and reunions, and also the right time for you to look back on the past year and consider what and who you are grateful for.
11月里的节日，Thanksgiving Day 在中文里写作“感恩节”，是全家团聚的大日子，同时也是回顾和思考过去这一年谁是最值得你感恩的人。
If we divide its Chinese term into individual characters, they should be as the following:
- 感 - (gǎn) - means to "feel" a kind of emotion or affection in Standard Chinese (Putonghua, aka. Standard Mandarin), e.g. "to feel happy" turned into Chinese as 感到快乐 (gǎn dào kuài lè).
- 恩 - (ēn) - represents the "kindness" or "favour" obtained from others in Standard Chinese (Putonghua), such as the religious "grace of God".
- 节 - (jié) - is usually used to mark the the day of festival or the day of anniversary in Standard Chinese (Putonghua), although it originally means a knot on bamboo or wood. Secondly, it often describes a section or a part of something in China, e.g. "an English course" equal to 一节英语课 (yì jié yīng yǔ kè) in Standard Chinese.
Most Commonly Used Keywords Referring to Thanksgiving Day in Chinese
- 感恩 - (gǎn ēn) - The common Chinese word and general speaking for "Thanksgiving" to express "gratitude" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua)
- 感谢 - (gǎn xiè) - The most frequently used word "Thanks" to express "Appreciation" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua)
- 祝福 - (zhù fú) - The most frequently used word "Wish" (as a verb) or "Wishes" (as a noun) in Standard Chinese (Putonghua)
And more in Standard Chinese:
- 感恩贺卡 - (gǎn ēn hè kǎ) - The most commonly appeared phrase of "Thanksgiving Cards" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua)
- 感恩语录 - (gǎn ēn yǔ lù) - The most commonly appeared phrase of "Thanksgiving Quotes" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua)
- 感恩祝福语 - (gǎn ēn zhù fú yǔ) - The most commonly appeared phrase for "Thanksgiving Wishes" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua)
- 感恩节餐桌 - (gǎn ēn jié cān zhuō) - The most commonly appeared phrase for "Thanksgiving Table" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua), also with an implying of Thanksgiving dinner 感恩节大餐 (gǎn ēn jié dà cān) in Chinese.
Make Thanksgiving Wishes into Chinese
There are several days or festivals which centre on families reunion or being grateful for parents and ancestors in China, such as the important Chinese September Festival "The Mid-autumn Festival" 中秋节 (zhōng qiū jié)and "The ChongYang (Double-Nine) Festival" 重阳节 (chóng yáng jié). Chinese people don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day and such a festival doesn't exist in China. In Chinese thought, gratitude could be expressed to others at any time in any place.
If you are willing to learn how to make some popular Thanksgiving wishes into Chinese, please take reference to the following Chinese expressions:
- Happy Thanksgiving! - Turned into Standard Chinese (Putonghua) as below:
(gǎn ēn jié kuài lè)
- Happy Thanksgiving Day to Everybody! - Turned into Standard Chinese (Putonghua) as below:
(zhù dà jiā gǎn ēn jié kuài lè)
- I wish you all a happy Thankgiving. - Turned into Standard Chinese (Putonghua) as below:
(zhù gè wèi gǎn ēn jié yú kuài)
- All Thanks for you in my life! - Turned into Standard Chinese (Putonghua) as below:
(gǎn xiè nǐ chū xiàn zài wǒ de shēng mìng lǐ)
- Thanks for holding me and supporting me all my life - Turned into Standard Chinese (Putonghua) as below:
(gǎn xiè nǐ yí lù fú chí hé zhī chí wǒ)
- Wish you a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving! - Turned into Standard Chinese (Putonghua) as below:
(Zhù nǐ yōng yǒu yí gè zài mǎn zhù fú hé huān lè gǎn ēn jié)
Use Chinese Words to Speak "Black Friday" And Related
As Thanksgiving usually takes place on the fourth Thursday in November, the Friday close to Thanksgiving is well-known as "Black Friday" for shopping. If we turn this Festival name into Standard Chinese, then it could be written as 黑色星期五 (hēi sè xīng qī wǔ), which consists of two basic Chinese words below.
感恩节通常发生在 11 月份的第四个星期四，与这一天最近的一个星期五则是大家熟知的“黑色星期五”。这个名称在中文里，由两个很基础的中文词语构成，如下：
- 黑色 - (hēi sè) - The word "Black color" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua)
- 星期五 - (xīng qī wǔ) - The word "Friday" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua), in which the first two characters 星期 (xīng qī)represents the word "Week" and 五 (wǔ) is the simplified Chinese numeral character equal to the number "Five".
The Shortest Word For The Black Friday in Chinese
- 黑五 - (hēi wǔ) - The shortest phrase to express the "The Black Friday" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua).
Another Day Close To The Black Friday in Chinese
- 网络星期一 - (wǎng luò xīng qī yī) - The phrase "Cyber Monday" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua), or similar 网购星期一 (wǎng gòu xīng qī yī) in Chinese to imply the day for shopping online. And that's what the word 网购 actually stands for in Chinese.
- 网购 - (wǎng gòu) - that's what phrase "Cyber Sales" means in Standard Chinese (Putonghua), literally meaning to shop online.
More Black Friday Words Phrases For Shopping Season
Here are more Chinese words or phrases we've prepared for you, which are most common to appear in the shopping season. Hope they are useful and practical.
Chinese Shopping/Sales Words Phrases During The Black Friday
- 线上打折促销 - (xiàn shàng dǎ zhé cù xiāo) - means "The Online Discounts and Promotions" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua).
- 黑五最佳促销/优惠 - (hēi wǔ zuì jiā cù xiāo/yōu huì) - The most commonly appeared phrase of "Best Black Friday Deals" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua).
- 黑五热卖 - (hēi wǔ rè mài) - The most commonly appeared phrase of "Black Friday Hot Deals" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua).
- 开始（开售） - (kāi shǐ/shòu) - The most commonly appeared phrase of "Kick off" implying to start the Black Friday sales in Standard Chinese (Putonghua).
- 为黑五做准备 - (wèi hēi wǔ zuò zhǔn běi) - The most commonly appeared phrase of "Gear up For Black Friday" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua).
- 已售空 - (yǐ shòu kōng) - The most commonly appeared phrase of "Sold out" in Standard Chinese (Putonghua), or similar as a verbal phrase 卖光了 (mài guāng le) in Chinese.
To know more World Festivals into Chinese and Chinese Festivals with cultural customs, or looking for starting your Chinese learning entertainingly, keep an eye on our updating at www.chinaclife.com.
Wish everybody enjoy the shopping season with these November Festivals!
Questions & Additional
Have you got any tips from this bilingual Chinese story above?
Do you have any other questions or suggestions?
You are free to write it down in the "Comments" section below or in our groups.
Any thought from you is appreciated, valuable, and might help the rest of the residents on the planet. 😀
Did You Start Learning Chinese with Pinyin?
Continue to read our User-friendly Chinese-Pinyin version of this story
(Unlocked for Free Logged-in and Premium residents only).
Hope it Helps! : )