How to Use Short Chinese Buzzword PoFang to Respond to Emotional Moment? Give Bilingual Examples (EN/CN)
The Chinese word 破防 has been already picked as one of the most popular words of the year 2021 on the Chinese Internet. This story is going to give you simple explanations for the Chinese Buzzword "Po Fang" of the year. And it's aiming to help beginners or anyone who is planning to learn the Standard Chinese language (Putonghua) as early as possible. Now let's get into it.
Target Story Words
Similar Chinese Words:
十大网络用语 shí dà wǎn luò yòng yǔ Top ten Chinese buzzwords used the most on Internet.
网络常用语 wǎn luò cháng yòng yǔ The most frequently used words on Internet.
Related Chinese Words:
年度的 nián dù de Annual in Chinese.
热词 rè cí Th hot words that are used frequently.
Table of Story
- Story Word in EN/CN/Pinyin
- Listen to Chinese Pronunciation
- What Is Chinese Buzzword "Po Fang"?
- Po Fang Picked into China's Word of The Year 2021
- What's Chinese Buzzword Po Fang Consisted of?How to Understand?
- Thinking About the Whole Chinese Buzzword "Po Fang" (For Logged-ins)
- More Top Chinese Buzzword 2021
- The Next May Interest You
- Share & Comment
What Is Chinese Buzzword "Po Fang"?
Initially, the Chinese word 破防 (pò fáng), or written as Po Fang based on Chinese Pinyin of the word, was commonly used by game players when they "have broken down the opponent's defense", that is 破防了 (pò fáng le) in Standard Chinese.
Recently, this Chinese word is showing up frequently on the Chinese Internet, especially among Chinese Danmu (Popular Live Comments function on China's online video streaming platforms). Netizens often burst out the short Chinese sentence 破防了 or 我破防了 when they are shocked, touched by something, or even moved to tears, with an implication that their psychological defense has been broken down.
Take popular sentences as examples, all of which can be simply shortened by a Chinese phrase including "Po Fang" as a substitution.
- The words are so moving - literally means "这些话令人感动(gǎn dòng)" in Standard Chinese (aka. Putonghua) - now it can be substituted with "这些话让人破防了 (pò fáng le)"
- The words really hit me and I began to cry now - literally means "这些话真的击中我了(jī zhòng wǒ le)，我已经哭了(kū le)" in Standard Chinese (aka. Putonghua) - now it can be substituted with "这些话真的让我破防了 (pò fáng le)"
- The words stung me - literally means "这些话刺痛我了(cì tòng wǒ le)" in Standard Chinese (aka. Putonghua) - now it can be substituted with "这些话让我破防了 (pò fáng le)"
- It moved me to tears - literally means "它让我感动到热泪盈眶(gǎn dòng dào rè lèi yíng kuàng)" in Standard Chinese (aka. Putonghua) - now it can be substituted with "它让我破防了 (pò fáng le)"
- It made us break down in tears - literally means "这让我们泪流满面(lèi liú mǎn miàn)" in Standard Chinese (aka. Putonghua) - now it can be substituted with "这让我们破防了 (pò fáng le)"
- It touched my heart - literally means "它触动了我的内心(chù dòng le ... nèi xīn)" in Standard Chinese (aka. Putonghua) - now it can be substituted with "它让我破防了 (pò fáng le)"
- I was overwhelmed - literally means "我被击溃了(bèi jī kuì le)" in Standard Chinese (aka. Putonghua) - now it can be substituted with "我破防了 (pò fáng le)"
Chinese "Po Fang" Picked Into China's Word of The Year 2021
At the end of the year, always comes various summing-ups, such as the Word of the Year. Also in China, there was the release of top Chinese buzzwords, then more discussions ensued on the Internet.
Recently, the list of "2021 The Top 10 Chinese buzzwords", or China's word of the year, are announced by the National Language Resources Monitoring And Research Center, in which the Chinese word "破防" has been unsurprisingly ranked as the most popular Chinese word of the past year.
What's Chinese Buzzword "Po Fang" Consisted of? How to Understand?
In Chinese, the top buzzword 破防 consists of two common Chinese characters: 破 and 防.
Let's split the word to see each character and the meaning separately.
Understand Chinese Character "破" For Po Fang
The first character 破 (pò), usually working as a verb, means to break or split an object. That's just the meaning it stands for in the buzzword 破防 (Po Fang).
On the other hand, the character 破 can be often used as an adjective to describe something broken or even poor, e.g.
破碎的心 (pò suì de xīn) meaning broken heart,
破皮了 (pò pí le) indicating the skin was broken.
Understand Chinese Character "防" For Po Fang
Secondly, another character 防 (fáng) stands for defense in Chinese.
另一个汉字“防”对应英文里的 defence 一词，表达防线的含义。
Sometimes, the character 防 also works as a Chinese verb to express meanings like to defend, guard or prevent, e.g.
防守 (fáng shǒu) meaning to guard in Chinese,
and 防止 (fáng zhǐ) meaning to prevent in Chinese.
有时，“防”字也在中文里当动词使用，表达防守、防御或阻止做某事的含义，如“防守”对应英文里的 guard，“防止”则是 prevent。
To learn more popular Chinese words and top buzzwords, looking for starting Chinese learning entertainingly, keep an eye on our updating at www.chinaclife.com.
Enjoy and hope it helped!
Questions & Additional
Have you got any tips from this bilingual Chinese story above?
Do you have any other questions or suggestions?
You are free to write it down in the "Comments" section below or in our groups.
Any thought from you is appreciated, valuable, and might help the rest of the residents on the planet. 😀
Did You Start Learning Chinese with Pinyin?
Continue to read our User-friendly Chinese-Pinyin version of this story
(Unlocked for Free Logged-in and Premium residents only).
Hope it Helps! : )